If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (626) 852-9922

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Workspace Fires

9/29/2023 (Permalink)

Just as you work to ensure that your home is a safe place, making sure your workspace is also safe and protected from potential fire damage is also important. Offices have spaces and areas that you’ll want to make sure are safe and preventing potential fire damage. Here are some areas that you may not expect could cause a fire in your office. 

#1: Loose and Overloaded Plug Sockets & Extension Cords 

Making sure that all plugs in your outlets are securely plugged in and not loose in any way can help prevent fire damage. When a plug is loosely in an outlet it can cause reduced functioning, as well as strains wiring, connects which can cause sparking within your outlets. Additionally, do you not overload your extension cords, overloading can create too much electricity which can lead to overheating and potential fire risk. 

#2: Dishwashers & Other Kitchen Appliances 

Stovetops, microwaves, coffee makers and dishwashers all have the potential risk of starting a fire in your workplace. In order to ensure that your appliances are safe to use it’s important to check and make sure there are no faulty aspects of the appliances, everything is securely plugged in and no outlets are overloaded. Dishwashers, in particular, can be a surprising culprit in creating fire damage. Since dishwashers are a combination of electricity and liquids, it’s important to make sure they are functioning properly and not left on overnight to reduce the potential risk. 

#3: Paper Piles 

Whether it’s paperwork, magazines, newspapers, or items that need to be shredded, sitting piles of paper around the office can be potential fire starters. Make sure that paper piles are not near outlets, extension cords, or plugs and that they are reduced or eliminated as often as possible. 

SERVPRO of Glendora/San Dimas is a Large Loss, full-service fire, smoke, wind, water repair and restoration company. We offer immediate response to residential, commercial, industrial, and commercial property owners.

Other News

View Recent Posts